Suggestions

Have an idea on how I can make this forum a better place? Tell me here.

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin
Suggestions

Post by trucker2000 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:34 am

If there is a feature you would like to have, or a particular look, please post those here.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:55 am

I have a suggestion, wish, whatever you want to call it. I'm not sure the software will let you do it, though.

I usually look at the new messages in a forum by clicking on the most recent topic, then hitting "view previous topic" to see the next thread, until I hit one I've seen all of before. The nit that annoys me is when you follow "view previous" to a multi-page thread, it always puts you at page 1 of the thread. Then it requires an extra click to go to the most recent page.

Is there any way to make the multi-page threads come up with the most recent page displayed? Could that be a setting in the profile center that I missed? I think having newer threads listed first is an option, which I use, but I don't recall seeing any setting for sorting on newer pages within a thread.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Lou
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Lou » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:39 pm

Well, Brian, we wouldn't want you to get Finger Fatigue :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:53 pm

I think I know what you are talking about. :huh: mabe.

If you look on the forum front page, there is a link that says (something to the effect of) view posts since last visit.
I've never used it, but I think it's what you are looking for. I usually look for the different icons to tell me when there are new posts.
If that link doesn't do what you are looking for, explain in more detail please.
There are a whole bunch of things that can be done to this forum program. The next version, which was supposed to be out last year, won't accept any of them tho. It's a total rewrite of the forum program and includes the profile control center that we had. (we don't have that anymore)
Anyway, there are 3 links just at the top of the forum. Under the regular links for profile, memberlist, and such. Let me know if that's what you are talking about. If not, I'll try to find the mod for it.
Sometimes.
Forum Host

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:45 pm

Was that what you were asking about Brian?
If not, I can look for a mod to do what you wanted. It's no big deal.
Sometimes.
Forum Host

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:01 am

Not exactly. I guess it depends on how you have your preferences set (ascending/descending sorting, etc.) whether you'll see what I'm talking about or not.

Let me walk you through a typical visit to the board with my settings...

I pull up the "Strange New Worlds" forum and see a list of topics, with the most recently active topic at the top. Right now, that's "Las Vegas Con 2005", which is a single page. The next one down is "Jeopardy!", which is 8 pages long. Both have their icon colored to indicate new posts, so I want to read both topics.

I click on "Las Vegas Con 2005". It comes up, and being a single page, I just scroll down to the bottom to read the latest reply.

Now, I want to move on to read the "Jeopardy!" topic. I click on "View previous topic" near the top of the page. The "Jeopardy!" topic loads, but at Page 1, which is many moons old. So my tired old mouse hand has to go up and click the "8" to go to Page 8 (most recent) of the topic. That's one whole extra click! :huh:

So the question is this: Can the software load the last page as the default, instead of Page 1? I think setting preferences to sort descending might accomplish this, but I prefer reading top to bottom, as in the Western tradition. :D

I know, I'm picky. Sue me. :P

Not any urgent necessity, just something I was wondering about. you know, a human finger only comes loaded with so many clicks. I don't want to run out.

:chase:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:07 am

That's what the " [ Goto page: 1 ... 6, 7, 8 ]" under the topic name is for. ;)
(i.e., click on the "8" to start with, not the topic title.)

Henry

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:21 am

I do that, when it's the first topic I'm pulling up. It's when it's not and I click "View previous topic" that the issue presents itself. I don't want to go out to the topic list between topics. That's even more clicks! :shock:

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:57 am

Oh. I don't use the "next" or "previous" topic links. Generally I open a topic in a new tab or window, then close it when done with that topic. That way the list of topics is still there in its window.

Henry

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:38 am

I open topics in new tabs, too, when using Mozilla at home.

It's when I'm "on a break" at work, and forced to use IE, that I don't have that option. ;)

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:15 pm

:rotfl: Ok. Gotta love that discription. :rotfl:
I now know what you are asking, so will take a look at the mods to see what I can come up with. I'm sure you aren't the only one with a "tired old mouse hand". :rotfl:
sorry. Will see what I can do.

:rotfl: couldnt help myself.

:rotfl: :rotfl: those just slipped
Sometimes.
Forum Host

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:40 pm

Squeek!

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:14 pm

Henry J wrote:Oh. I don't use the "next" or "previous" topic links. Generally I open a topic in a new tab or window, then close it when done with that topic. That way the list of topics is still there in its window.

Henry
Is that the "CTRL-N" option for a new window in I.E.?

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:18 pm

In Internet Explorer, right click on a link and select "Open in New Window". (All CTRL-N does is open a new window with a duplicate of the page you're already viewing.)

An option the (far superior, IMO) Mozilla has is "Open in New Tab", so you can open several pages in one window, with tabs at the top of the page for switching between them.

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:35 pm

In Internet Explorer, right click on a link and select "Open in New Window". (All CTRL-N does is open a new window with a duplicate of the page you're already viewing.)
Thank you for that. I didn't know about the right click or if I did then I didn't remember. What was the question? :scratchhead: Just kidding, thanks, really.
An option the (far superior, IMO) Mozilla has is "Open in New Tab", so you can open several pages in one window, with tabs at the top of the page for switching between them.
1. If MS does that then it will probably be in WINDOWS/APACHE/ELEPHANT vs X/P\LSMFT. :scratchhead:

2. If MS does that it will require 642 GIG of free space. :shock: