SBC/YAHOO!

News and Announcements
Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher
SBC/YAHOO!

Post by Xjmt » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:52 pm

I have been having a very difficult time signing on the internet through SBC/YAHOO. I called them and after many hours of gruelling conversation they eventually blamed my computer manufacturer, GATEWAY.

Now wait one stinken' minute!! I CANNOT sign on during the day but after 10:00 pm I have no problem. Couple that with the 'techies' desire to sell me a 'dedicated' service in spite of not being able to get me connected.

My point is that if my computer is at fault then what good would a frelling dedicated line, at extra cost, do?

Anyway 10:00 pm is way past my bed time so I'm restricted on just what I can respond to. Hasta Lavesta. Or whatever.

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:41 pm

Xmjt,

I take it that this is an everyday occurance?
I have sbc/yahoo and have no problems.
Are you on dsl? if so, you do know that it won't connect if someones on the phone?
You can also turn off your modem, wait 60 seconds and turn it back on. (this works in most cases.)
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:33 am

I see it also works before 8:00 am. Yes, everyday occurance and no one is home when I'm on the computer. In fact I have a seperate line just for the computer.

I've tried everything including removing some redundant internet call in lines, track the pings, reboot, etc. I'm on a dial-in SBC line. And yes, SBC/Ameritech is also my phone company.

Now I have to try and find out what happened to my e-mails.

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:47 am

SBC/Yahoo DSL won't work if someone's on the phone?

I thought it was the point of DSL that it shares the phone line, at a frequency in which we don't speak or hear. At least that's how my Bellsouth DSL works.

:scratchhead:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:48 pm

brian wrote:SBC/Yahoo DSL won't work if someone's on the phone?

I thought it was the point of DSL that it shares the phone line, at a frequency in which we don't speak or hear. At least that's how my Bellsouth DSL works.

Yes, that's also the way SBC DSL works. We had it for quite a while, but my DH got fed up with them and went to cable. SBC has a history of problems - like disconnecting. There's nothing you can do in that case except wait until somebody decides to flip the switch. :roll: Anyway, cable has just as many problems.

As for the problems with SBC/Yahoo, it sounds like the same problems we had with P* Classic. In that case, I don't know what can be done except wait until some people have gotten off line.
Bev Image

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:45 pm

brian wrote:SBC/Yahoo DSL won't work if someone's on the phone?

Nope. Dats not vat I meant.

If someone is on the phone when you activate your dsl, it can't dial out, so it can't connect.
If there is no one on the phone, it will connect. After it's connected, you can use the phone as usual.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:16 pm

OK, here's what I think happened. Conspiracy theories abound. :-P

I think the ding-dongs at SBC tried to re-subscribe me, early, using an old credit card number. They eventually dropped me without explanation and when I got througH to them they said I "called" (BULLSWAT) and cancelled. (DOUBLEBULLSWAT!!) They were in all likelyhood just testing cutting me off without an explanation. Why? BECAUSE THEY ARE STUPID AND UNETHICAL. THAT'S WHY! :flame:

OTOH their phone service is almost pretty good. :smile:

AnneB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AnneB » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:24 pm

So are you back up and running now?

Anne
Check These Out: MYSThillarium Volume 1 and other Forumite trips!

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:53 pm

So are you back up and running now?
Make that, "for now". :-P