QUESTIONS

News and Announcements
Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher
QUESTIONS

Post by Xjmt » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:24 am

I'm seeing a lot of web sites including, usually in the news sections, the addition of something designated as RSS. What is RSS?

The other question involves BLOGS. I'm reading a lot about them lately and to me they sound like slightly better organized newsgroups but that's a wild guess.

What is a BLOG and does anyone here belong to a BLOG? And why? :scratchhead:

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:58 am

Never heard of an RSS. The one BLOG that I've looked at - The Panda's Thumb - resembles a single forum of a BB - i.e., a series of topics, each with a series of replies.

Henry

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:22 am

RSS: Regugitation supercilious slander :scratchhead: :smile:
:beamup: lswot
eccl 2:13

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."
......Thomas Jefferson......

DonaldTurner
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Re: QUESTIONS

Post by DonaldTurner » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:58 am

Xjmt wrote: The other question involves BLOGS. I'm reading a lot about them lately and to me they sound like slightly better organized newsgroups but that's a wild guess.

A blog is a web log. It is an online diary or journal. It generally belongs to a single individual, but usually other people are allowed to comment on the individual entries, and then people can comment on their comments, etc.

AnneB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: QUESTIONS

Post by AnneB » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:35 pm

DonaldTurner wrote:
Xjmt wrote: The other question involves BLOGS. I'm reading a lot about them lately and to me they sound like slightly better organized newsgroups but that's a wild guess.

A blog is a web log. It is an online diary or journal. It generally belongs to a single individual, but usually other people are allowed to comment on the individual entries, and then people can comment on their comments, etc.
I have see some blogs that are interesting, one in particular concerning a trip to Australia with details of the visit. Others make me feel like I'm eavesdropping on a private conversation, though why someone would put personal information and private thoughts on the Internet for the whole world to read is beyond me.

Anne
Check These Out: MYSThillarium Volume 1 and other Forumite trips!

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:43 pm

RSS is a news feed that can be added to a web page. If you look at http://www.atmoworld.com , there is an rss feed there. (world stats), but for some reason, my adobe rss isn't there anymore. :scratchhead:

To see a basic blog, http://www.heavenlytunes.org/blog is mine. It's just about empty becouse I have nothing interesting to put there.

I have been trying to get an rss feed to work with this forum for space news, but haven't got it to work yet. The forum program interferes with it.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:44 pm

OK. I think I got it now. The problem was that the Yahoo screen always came up blank when I clicked on RRS. At other times the information came through looking like my browser couldn't read it without the HTML coding. But it sounds like a cross between Google and the old DOS Hyperlink in which only a specific topic is covered?

Do you need a special "reader" to read those sites?

As for Blogs I first heard about their popularity among teen aged high school girls who used the internet as a sort of diary. Under those circumstances I'd thought the access would be limited. But now the blogs seem to cover whatever the individual chooses to cover.

Blogs are in the news lately but RRS was still an "out there" with me. As I understand it I guess I can live without either 'tho for me it'd be neat to have a sort of Hyperlink to only specific topics from world wide sources.

Thanks for the assist, gang. :ghug:

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:59 pm

Yes, you have both correct.

RSS has to be placed in an html page for your browser to read it.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:51 am

I believe BLOG is dervived from Binary LOG.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:02 am

Re Binary LOG
Oh, so they were invented by those Binoc guys like the ones that worked on the Enterprise in that episode?

Henry

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:28 am

Now that I think of it, it may have come from Web Log.

Web Log

Web-Log

We-Blog

'Blog

Blog
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt