Commercials NOIBN

These are old posts that can be read, but not posted to anymore.
brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Thu May 11, 2006 1:34 pm

My poor old mother, when it comes to technology.

I took the anniversary edition of Mary Poppins up to her place to watch on Easter. I had forgotten how long it was, and I had to leave before the third hour was up. So I told her I would get it the next time I came up.

Keep in mind that this is her first DVD player, which I installed at Christmas and she has only used once without me. I had to write down everything for her (press power on the DVD remote, press power on the VCR remote, put the TV on channel 3, press TV/VCR on the VCR remote, press Line on the VCR remote until it says L1 on the TV, etc. -- It's hard enough for me to remember, and she's 79!)

So the next day, I called her and asked if she finished the movie.

She: Yes.

Me: Did you have any trouble getting your TV back in order?

She: No. I even rewound the movie for you.

Me: You what?

She: I rewound the movie when it got to the end.

Me: You mean you hit the rewind button on the DVD remote?

Me: What happened?

She: The movie rewound. You know, I could see it moving backwards as it rewound. I've never seen that before.

Me: You rewound the DVD?

Me: How long did it take?

She: Almost two hours.

Me: What did you do in the meantime?

She: I went and watched TV in the bedroom. I came out and checked on it now and then to see if it was still rewinding.

Me: You don't need to rewind a DVD. It's random access.

She: It's what?

Me: Nevermind. From now on, just eject it when you're done.

:crying:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Thu May 11, 2006 3:21 pm

:shock: Ya mean we're not supposed to rewind DVDs? :scratchhead:

AnneB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AnneB » Thu May 11, 2006 4:29 pm

brian wrote:Not all of the Star Trek episodes go to the beginning of act one when you hit Next. (a Star Trek episode being a teaser, credits, five acts and closing credits)

Some of them take you into the middle of act one. Who set those chapter stops?!? A moron, that's who.
So far, I've only watched Voyager, and it has a chapter stop in the right place. I haven't watched all the others yet. Although I did watch Dark Shadows from 1991 and the "next" button didn't work there.

Brian, your mother played the DVD backwards? :huh:
Check These Out: MYSThillarium Volume 1 and other Forumite trips!

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Fri May 12, 2006 5:51 am

Yah. :( She figured why else would there be a rewind button on the DVD remote?

I first found chapter stops in the wrong place in the TNG set. I think some DS9, too.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Wed May 31, 2006 4:28 pm

Speaking of commercials this is my newest buggaboo.

Perky young female commuting home from work. She's wearing a dress that almost looks like a wrap-a-round and she travels through steam from ground level vents and from under manhole covers then gets on a bus with all kinds of sweaty people leaning on her. She gets home, kicks off her shoes then pulls off her dress (she's wearing a slip as well as other stuff), runs to her washer-dryer which looks to be conviently set up in her living room, throws her dress in the dryer and sets the dryer on "steam". Moments later she had her "steamed" dress back on, picks up her purse, throws a light wrap around her shoulders and hooks arms with a male of the species as they head out through the door.

The male appears miraculously in her home and just as miraculous her shoes appear back on her feet with no effort at all on her part.

Now what I would like to say is this, "It's called a SHOWER lady!!" That poor guy's gonna have to put up with your stinky body and that stinky dress all night? I hope she at the very least put on some more deoderant.

I can just hear him when they get home later that evening, "Not tonight dear, I have a headache!" And mean it!! :rasp:

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:04 pm

A still favorite commercial has the two women in the house talking (no dialogue just the announcer) about these great new windows in which each panel has two plates of glass with the blinds between the plates.

While they're talking some guy (heretofore known as "husband") is in the yard trying to barbecue while the dog is running around like mad and every time the ladies close then reopen the blinds another tragedy has occured in the yard. The grill tips over spilling flamable whatever all over the grass and the garden hose won't work then the grill blows up only to come down on the dog house.

Call 911? Nah, the two ladies are still talking about the blinds and windows and how they work. :rotfl:

Stereotypes of the sexes? Well, yeah. But also true. :lol:

Side note: the lady in the black slacks looks to have the largest posterior this side of Jennifer Lopez. That or it's a lousy camera angle. :shock:

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:39 pm

My favorite right now is the Hardee's commercial about their milk shakes.

Two guys are standing there with cows, rubbing their hands on the cow's sides, to the hip-hop tune of "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard, and they're like, it's better than yours..."

LOL!

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:23 am

I don't think I've seen that one. Then again I don't know if there's any Hardee's around here. :bdsmile:

AnneB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AnneB » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:39 pm

brian wrote:My favorite right now is the Hardee's commercial about their milk shakes.

Two guys are standing there with cows, rubbing their hands on the cow's sides, to the hip-hop tune of "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard, and they're like, it's better than yours..."

LOL!
They're making milkshakes, Brian. Look closer next time at what's shaking. :scratchhead:
Check These Out: MYSThillarium Volume 1 and other Forumite trips!

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:52 am

Yeah, there are some jiggly bits down below... :lol:

If you don't have Hardee's, do you have Carl's Jr.? It's the same restaurant, in different areas of the country.

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:55 am

I've got to say my favorite right now I don't even remember what's being sold, but it's so funny and so true (well, at least part of it).

A husband and wife in their home. The wife is in the kitchen reading the paper and the husband is standing at a double light switch. He's trying to figure out what the one switch does, since it doesn't seem to do anything. (Don't we all have one of those?) Anyway, he's asking his wife, does this do anything, and how about now. She's still reading the paper, telling him no it doesn't do anything and yes she's looking. Meanwhile, the camera pulls outside for a shot of the neighborhood, and just 2 houses away, you see a garage door going up and down on top of the neighbor's car while she's trying to get her car into the garage!

Oh yeah, I just remembered, this is a commercial for insurance. :rotfl:
Bev Image

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:50 pm

Yes! We get that one also. In fact I think the same company has another with no dialogue just a Dad coming out to the driveway in his jammies and robe to get the newspaper while two young females (obviously college bound from the looks of their car's interior) are trying to pull out of the garage but dad won't move.

He starts reading the newspaper right in front of them facing away to their left. Finally the driver gets the message and puts on her seat belt. Then he turns the other way but this female needs a nudge from the driver before she realizes that dad ain't moving until she also puts on her seat belt.

Seat belts in place, dad, with a smile on his face, saunters back into the house. Not one word or look from the dad the entire time. Funny and very well played.

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:34 pm

And the sound of the girls shrieking with glee as the car takes off down the road. :lol:

That's gotta be a tough moment for a parent. :shock: