RIP Red Buttons

These are old posts that can be read, but not posted to anymore.
brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
RIP Red Buttons

Post by brian » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:01 am

Comedian Red Buttons dies in L.A. at 87

LOS ANGELES - Red Buttons, the carrot-topped burlesque comedian who became a top star in early television and then in a dramatic role won the 1957 Oscar as supporting actor in "Sayonara," died Thursday. He was 87.

Buttons died of vascular disease at his home in the Century City area of Los Angeles, publicist Warren Cowan said. He had been ill for some time, and was with family members when he died, Cowan said.

With his eager manner and rapid-fire wit, Buttons excelled in every phase of show business, from the Borscht Belt of the 1930s to celebrity roasts in the 1990s.

His greatest achievement came with his "Sayonara" role as Sgt. Joe Kelly, the soldier in the post-World War II occupation forces in Japan whose romance with a Japanese woman (Myoshi Umeki, who also won an Academy Award) ends in tragedy.

Josh Logan, who directed the James Michener story that starred Marlon Brando, was at first hesitant to cast a well-known comedian in such a somber role.

"The tests were so extensive that they could just put scenery around them and release the footage as a feature film," Buttons remarked.

Buttons' Academy Award led to other films, both dramas and comedies. They included "Imitation General," "The Big Circus," "Hatari!" "The Longest Day," "Up From the Beach," "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" "The Poseidon Adventure," "Gable and Lombard" and "Pete's Dragon."
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:21 pm

While we enjoyed his TV show it did go downhill after the first year. In those days not much was said about a production staff moving on. I was also always suspicious that a guy I never heard of suddenly had a tV show and found out about it before it was ever on via "word of mouth".

What kind of support could he have had to get the word out on the street about "his" show?

I did enjoy his movie roles I saw. Especially "Hatari". :)

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:27 pm

He was a great actor. :)
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host