Random attacks of nostalgia

These are old posts that can be read, but not posted to anymore.
brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Random attacks of nostalgia

Post by brian » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:11 pm

I came across a marathon of Hee-Haw on CMT this past weekend. When I was a kid, my father never missed an episode of this show. At the time, I didn't like it. But when I came across it while surfing, I stopped on it for a while, and found myself getting very nostalgic about it. (Maybe because my father is gone now and it reminded me of him? I dunno.) I found that I still knew the lyrics to some of their songs, which I haven't even heard for 30 years!

Like the "Rumor Song", sung by the ladies at the clothes line:

Now we're not ones to go round an' spread rumors.
Why really, we're just not the gossipy kind.
Oh, you'll never hear one of us repeatin' gossip,
So you'd better be sure and listen close the first time!

"Gloom, Despair, and Agony":

Gloom, despair, and agony on me! (WOE!)
Deep dark depression, excessive misery! (WOE!)
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. (WOE!)
Gloom, despair, and agony on me!

"PFFFT! You Were Gone":

Where oh where are you tonight?
Why did you leave me here all alone?
I searched the world over and thought I'd found true love.
You met another and PFFFT! You were gone.

I had no idea this was so deeply ingrained in me, and hadn't given any of it a thought for many many years. It's funny how memory works, huh?

Do you ever find yourself getting nostalgic about things you never imagined you would?
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:18 pm

Do you ever find yourself getting nostalgic about things you never imagined you would?
Yup! Being as I am a married man I tend to get somewhat nostalgic about sex. :(

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:52 pm

:rotfl:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:59 am

Brian~~~ I neglected to thank you for that award winning straight line. :D

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:58 am

Yeah, as a matter of fact, I have this week. Having shipped off my youngest daughter to the Navy on Tuesday, I kinda miss having all the girls here. :mope:
Bev Image

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:08 pm

BevH wrote:Yeah, as a matter of fact, I have this week. Having shipped off my youngest daughter to the Navy on Tuesday, I kinda miss having all the girls here. :mope:
Oh darn. :( Well the best to you both and keep in mind that our armed forces are far more proficient than our government. :rock: I'm sure she'll be fine. No, in fact I'm sure of it. :ghug:

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:46 am

Yeah, I know, but as a mother I'm allowed to worry, it's in the job description. :rotfl:

She had 4 years of ROTC in high school, so I'm sure she'll get along just fine. We got a box from her on Friday with the stuff she couldn't keep in basic training, like the clothes she wore there. Tucked inside the box flap was a note that said: "I love you guys! This will be a breeze! LOL Please keep my plane ticket. Please send extra money." I laughed at that last bit... seems like some things never change! :rotfl: :rotfl:
Bev Image

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:52 pm

Sounds to me like by the time she's done with the training she'll be in charge of the joint. :rotfl:
Oh, I do remember the suitcase of civilian stuff that had to be sent home. I was worried sick I may have sent something I didn't think my parents should see which in turn my parents probably thought I should never have seen. :lol:
But we all survived. :cool:
As she keeps in touch with you please let us know how things are going with her. While there are many differences here (generations, sex, branch of military <sort of>) there is one constant. Basic Training. Which is always so much fun........in hindsight! :rotfl:
Give her our best, please. :ghug:

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:13 pm

Navy is easy duty. I spent 4 years in there. Boot camp is a breeze too. :)
She sent stuff home?? "G", I had to throw them away. :scratchhead:
She'll like it there tho. That is, if she gets shore duty. If she gets ship duty, she'll like it if she loves grey and water. Lots and lots and neverending lots of water all around. :truce:
It's still safer duty than going into the marines or army. :)
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:51 am

Her dad retired from the Navy, so she's fairly familiar with it. Another funny bit about this (all her life, there have been Erica Stories, funny things that have happened to her, although some are in hindsight):

She enlists and she wants to go into the medical field, but it's a closed rating. So she decides to become an aviation ordinanceman, which means, she'll be one that helps load the bombs on the plane. Now this may not sound all the strange or funny, but you have to understand that Erica is on the petite side at just 5' 2" on a good day... :rotfl: :rotfl:

And yes, she LOVES the water. When her dad retired from the Navy, we moved into a motel so we could have our stuff shipped off and still be able to clean the base housing we were living in. After a day of cleaning, we were hot and tired and decided to take advantage of the motel's swimming pool (this is in July). So the girls and I get ready and proceed to the pool. Oh, I guess I should mention their ages. Cathy is 9, Lisa is 7 and Erica is 5. Cathy and Lisa jump in and I turn around to put our towels down. In the meantime, Erica, with her swim ring around her waist, has also jumped in. I turn around, and there's Erica floundering away. I jump in and haul her out, but before I can get out myself, Erica's jumped back in! :rotfl: :rotfl:
Bev Image

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:19 am

She sent stuff home?? "G", I had to throw them away

:rotfl:

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:23 am

Yup. That sure sounds like she enjoys the water. :bdsmile:

Five' two", huh? It does seem that aviation ordinanceman may be a bit of a challange. Maybe they have a subdivision for those who only polish the ordinance? :D

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:33 pm

Polish the shells before shooting them at somebody? Seems counterproductive to me. ;)

Henry

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:40 pm

Henry J wrote:Polish the shells before shooting them at somebody? Seems counterproductive to me. ;)

Henry
Planes fly faster and truer with no dirt to inhibit their passage through the air. The Civil Air Patrol used to have volunteers polish the wings of Air Force One.

Then in WW II they used to do everything from write comments and sayings to drawing pictures on bombs and planes going into combat. It all seems counterproductive but it just might have add some levity to the job at hand.

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:59 pm

Huh. Okay, I guess they had a blast! (hehe)