RIP Maureen Stapleton

This is for General chit chat and such.
If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, it goes here. Knock yerself out.

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
RIP Maureen Stapleton

Post by brian » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:46 am

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - Maureen Stapleton, an Oscar-winning character actress whose subtle vulnerability and down-to-earth toughness earned her dramatic and comedic roles on stage, screen, and television, died Monday. She was 80.

The longtime smoker died from chronic pulmonary disease in the Berkshire hills town of Lenox, where she had been living, said her son, Daniel Allentuck.

Stapleton, whose unremarkable, matronly appearance belied her star personality and talent, won an Academy Award for her supporting role as anarchist-writer Emma Goldman in Warren Beatty's 1981 film "Reds," about a left-wing American journalist who journeys to Russia to cover the Bolshevik Revolution.

To prepare for the role, Stapleton said she tried reading Goldman's autobiography, but soon chucked it out of boredom.

"There are many roads to good acting," Stapleton, known for her straightforwardness, said in her 1995 autobiography, "Hell of a Life." "I've been asked repeatedly what the 'key' to acting is, and as far as I'm concerned, the main thing is to keep the audience awake."

Stapleton was nominated several times for a supporting actress Oscar, including for her first film role in 1958's "Lonelyhearts"; "Airport" in 1970; and Woody Allen's "Interiors" in 1978.

Her other film credits include the 1963 musical "Bye Bye Birdie" opposite Ann-Margret and Dick Van Dyke, "Johnny Dangerously," "Cocoon," "The Money Pit" and "Addicted to Love."
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:03 am

Brando once said the only thing he owed the public is to not be boring. Stapleton said to keep them awake. I guess there aren't many of their caliber out there cuz I keep falling asleep during movies and TV shows. :(

She once told an interviewer that every time before going on stage she got nauseous and yet there was never any indication of that during her performances.

She was a heck of an actress and I'd bet most folks don't even realize just how many times they've seen her perform. She was first of all an actress instead of a star. She helped make the stars look good.

RIP Ms Stapleton. :mope: :mope:

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:48 pm

She, like a lot of other stars of her day, were the greats. I don't believe they can be replaced.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:28 pm

trucker2000 wrote:She, like a lot of other stars of her day, were the greats. I don't believe they can be replaced.
That's for sure. :(
:beamup: lswot
eccl 2:13

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."
......Thomas Jefferson......