PAY PAL

This is for General chit chat and such.
If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, it goes here. Knock yerself out.

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher
PAY PAL

Post by Xjmt » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:03 pm

At least I think that's the name of the on-line organization.

My wife recently joined a group that requires a monetary subscription and they said they prefer Pay Pal. Now I think I've heard some bad things about Pay Pal not having the greatest security in the world so I'm hesitant to let her continue with that form of payment.

In that my regular Computer X-Prodigy is still down I hope no one minds if I ask if anyone here has had any experience with this organization and to your knowledge is it considered trustworthy?

Thanks.

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:29 pm

I use paypal a lot. They had problems way back when, when there was no such thing as security, but they have really tightened up on it. I've had no problems.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

AnneB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AnneB » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:29 pm

I've used it a 2-3 times without any problems. They get spoofed a lot though, so don't click on any links if you ever get an email from them. Go straight to their web site to check out any messages you get.
Check These Out: MYSThillarium Volume 1 and other Forumite trips!

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:51 pm

They're a frequent target of some phishermen, so be careful of emails claiming to be from PayPal.

Henry

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:48 am

Thanks all. That's a big help.

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:09 am

A little late, but I've never had any problems with PayPal, and I've used it a lot. I have gotten phishing emails seeming to be from PayPal, but I've never responded to them.

A good general rule is to contact the source directly (type 'paypal.com' or 'citibank.com', or whoever, in your browser) if you ever get something asking for you to follow a link to their site. Never follow the link.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:24 am

Sorry to burst the shiny bubble everyone has created, but I won't ever use PayPal again... ever. My husband is having some legal problems because PayPal shut off his account with no explanation, and now says that he owes money... lots of money. We have a lawyer involved and since we haven't heard anything recently, we're hoping the matter is resolved. Oh, I should mention, my husband's account was a business account, but it has soured us both on having any dealings with PayPal.
Bev Image

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:31 am

Thank you, Bev. That's the kind of thing I'd been reading about PayPal and why I wanted to stay away from them. Unfortunately they usually stick reports like PayPal problems in some small corner of the business section where most folks won't get to read.

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Wed May 31, 2006 4:17 pm

With so many cruds going phishing using the Pay Pal name how does one know when an email is legitimately from Pay Pal?

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:01 am

Assume any email from PayPal is fake. Enter "paypal.com" in your browser, login to your account, and click the Contact Us link, if you have any question about the message you received. You can also check your account for recent activity.

Sometimes a phish will say that it's in reference to a purchase you just made (meant to panic people who haven't made any purchases into clicking the provided fake link). At paypal.com, look at your recent history and you'll see if indeed any purchases have been made. If you need to contact them, use that Contact Us link I mentioned.

PayPal will never cancel your account for inactivity or the numerous reasons cited in these phishing expeditions.

Never reply to an email seeming to be from PayPal, and never click a link in it. Go to PayPal.com yourself and initiate contact.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:21 am

Thank you Brian. Actually words to live online about no matter what account you're dealing with. :biggthumbup:

AnneB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AnneB » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:14 pm

You can also forward any emails like that to spoof@paypal.com and they will tell you if it was fake or real. I've never actually sent them a real one, they are all fake. :mope:
Check These Out: MYSThillarium Volume 1 and other Forumite trips!

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:27 am

Wasn't my idea to use Pay Pal but I wanted and appreciate this extra info to pass on to the spousal unit. A couple of organizations she recently joined push payment by Pay Pal. :flame: