RIP Ernest Borgnine

This is for General chit chat and such.
If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, it goes here. Knock yerself out.

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
RIP Ernest Borgnine

Post by brian » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:03 pm

Ernest Borgnine dies at Age 95

Hollywood legend Ernest Borgnine died Sunday at age 95 of renal failure, his rep told the Associated Press.

The actor passed away at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center surrounded by family.

Familiar to all for his gap-toothed smile, the brusquely built star frequently played the villain in movies like From Here to Eternity and Bad Day at Black Rock. But he won a Best Actor Academy Award in 1955 for playing against type as a lovelorn butcher in Marty.

The son of Italian immigrants, Borgnine served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. After the war was over--following his mother's advice---he turned to the dramatic arts, performing first on stage, then television and finally film.

"I just want to thank my mother for giving me the idea to get into this wonderful profession," Borgnine said during his Oscar acceptance speech.

He put his naval experience to good use as Lieutenant Commander Quentin McHale in the beloved TV show McHale's Navy.

Other memorable films in which he starred included The Dirty Dozen, The Wild Bunch, and The Poseiden Adventure; more recently, he voiced Mermaid Man in Spongebob Squarepants and had an Emmy-nominated turn on ER.

Borgnine won a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Screen Actor's Guild in 2010.
I hadn't seen any of his work for years, until Saturday when I caught an airing of The Black Hole (hence the pic I chose to put with this article). How odd that I watched his work for the first time in years on Saturday and he died on Sunday. :(
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RIP Ernest Borgnine

Post by trucker2000 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:58 pm

And another one goes. Soon, there will be no more.
He will be missed.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:39 am

A very versitile actor......who will be missed.
:mope:
:beamup: lswot
eccl 2:13

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."
......Thomas Jefferson......

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:57 am

Ernest Borg of 9...

:rotfl:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:10 pm

I think he would have liked that. :D
:beamup: lswot
eccl 2:13

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."
......Thomas Jefferson......

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:03 am

TCM has an in-depth interview with him they run from time to time. Fascinating guy. Always enjoyed his performances. :mope: