SCAM ALERT

This is for General chit chat and such.
If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, it goes here. Knock yerself out.

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher
SCAM ALERT

Post by Xjmt » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:07 am

This has been probably mentioned before but we found a brief article in Kiplinger's so here goes.

"Don't sign up for the "National Do Not E-mail Registry". It's a bogus Web site that mimics the National Do Not Call Registry site, a legitmate program sponsored by the federal government. The Federal Trade Commission warns that the deceptive site is being used to collect personal data for spammers and identity thieves."

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:57 am

:-D Yep.....knew that was comin'! :mope:
:beamup: lswot
eccl 2:13

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."
......Thomas Jefferson......

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:22 pm

Should have known that would be next. I'm glad I hadn't heard of it till now.
Thanks for posting this.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:32 am

trucker2000 wrote:Should have known that would be next. I'm glad I hadn't heard of it till now.
Thanks for posting this.
Yes, definitely....tell the truth...I didn't even trust the 'official' -do not call-Registry. I figured if I submitted my name and number that someone would get a hold of it and I'd be innudated more than I am. There do seem to be fewer calls, lately......but, not because I put in my name and number. Could be 'they' got tired of being hung up on......naaaa, that wouldn't have done it. Well, I have told a few not to call me anymore. Maybe that worked..... :scratchhead:

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."

AnneB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AnneB » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:39 am

We signed up for the "Do Not Call Registry" and we get almost no calls any more. We get a few from charities who can still call, but not very many of those.

Anne
Check These Out: MYSThillarium Volume 1 and other Forumite trips!

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:01 pm

Donahoo wrote:We signed up for the "Do Not Call Registry" and we get almost no calls any more. We get a few from charities who can still call, but not very many of those.

Anne
I'm sure the 'new' policy rubbed off on the 'advertisers' and most have complied one way or the other. Telling them not to call anymore seems to help, some, too.

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:03 pm

We signed up for the "Do Not Call Registry" and we get almost no calls any more. We get a few from charities who can still call, but not very many of those.
We also signed up and the drop in calls was dramatic. We still get an occasional legit phone call as well as an "illegal" call. How do I know they're "illegal"? Because they curse me out when I won't talk to them or let them talk to my wife. :rotfl:
I'm sure the 'new' policy rubbed off on the 'advertisers' and most have complied one way or the other. Telling them not to call anymore seems to help, some, too.
One of the ploys they used when the solicitors didn't want to be blocked was to complain about how many folks would be put out of work. I think I can solve that. Refuse to talk to any service person from a company you do business with unless that person is physically in the US of A!! And has at less some rudimentary understanding of English. Or at least American United States version. :-P

Also, as I understand it, this blocking of unsoliceted phone calls is NOT permanent. I believe the law will be phased out in a year or so. :flame:

AnneB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AnneB » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:22 pm

Xjmt wrote: Also, as I understand it, this blocking of unsoliceted phone calls is NOT permanent. I believe the law will be phased out in a year or so. :flame:
I didn't know that! :? If this is true, then what was the point? I certainly hope it is not true.

Anne
Check These Out: MYSThillarium Volume 1 and other Forumite trips!

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:28 am

Donahoo wrote:
Xjmt wrote: Also, as I understand it, this blocking of unsoliceted phone calls is NOT permanent. I believe the law will be phased out in a year or so. :flame:
I didn't know that! :? If this is true, then what was the point? I certainly hope it is not true.

Anne
:shock: It seems this all proves my point.... :mope: Who knew? :-D

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:37 pm

From my understanding, the bill that allowed the "do not call list" to exist, we temporary. After 1 year, it will be reviewed in Congress and then they will decide wether or not to make it permanent.
Sometimes.
Forum Host

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:17 pm

Congress and then they will decide wether or not to make it permanent
Can you say "Political Contributions" with a straight face? :P

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:31 pm

Xjmt wrote:
:crying: No. I can't.
Sometimes.
Forum Host

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:43 am

Xjmt wrote:
:rotfl: You CYNIC you!!!!!

........but it's so true..... :crying: sad to say....... :mope: