Wacko computer question.

This is for General chit chat and such.
If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, it goes here. Knock yerself out.

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher
Wacko computer question.

Post by Xjmt » Tue May 11, 2004 11:33 am

This is a little involved so bear with me here.

The phone line I use for my computer and SBC/YAHOO dialup at times gets calls into the phone but there's no one there. When I pick up the receiver all I hear is a whistling sound and if I hang up then pick up again the sound does not go away. Fearing that the line is being left open and that SBC would get pi$$ed at me for that I called SBC and asked about it.

The fellow I talked to suggested dialing *67 BEFORE the ISP phone number. That was supposed to hide my phone number from over ambitious marketers. So I did that. In any case my computer was otherwise acting very sluggish so after trying that I had NORTON run a check on my HD. They came back with a potential "adware" problem of ipin32.dll which they couldn't delete. In fact NORTON acts like they can't even quarantine so I checked further and got the entire address of this "potential" problem. It showed to be c:\programfiles\sbcyahoo\connectionmanager\IPinsight\ipin3.dll, so I guess my question is, is that file a problem as NORTON fears or is it a block to my phone number which SBC said, is it both as well as a check into what web sites I go to or could it be neither?

Has anyone else run into this kind of a situation?

Thanks.

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Tue May 11, 2004 2:30 pm

I haven't run into that problem. but have you tried adaware? <--download link)
adaware will find all your spyware and either kill it or quarenteen it. I've had stuff that norton and Mcaffee couldn't do anything with and adaware got rid of it. Oh, it's free.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

AnneB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AnneB » Tue May 11, 2004 4:48 pm

There was something about that file on the Member Help BB - http://mhelp.bb.prodigy.net/ - but I don't remember which thread it was in. I'm thinking they said not to delete the file. I'll see what I can find.

Anne

Edit to add: OK I found it right here: http://mhelp.bb.prodigy.net/mhelpb/prod ... topic=9734
Check These Out: MYSThillarium Volume 1 and other Forumite trips!

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Tue May 11, 2004 7:22 pm

Thank you, Anne. I think that explains it quite well.

The thing is I have both Ad-Aware and Spybot and neither of them reacted to this file. Just Norton. :scratchhead:

I guess I'll go pull it out of the trash. :-D

Thanks again.

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Wed May 12, 2004 10:21 am

I find that Norton had trouble with most adware/spyware. It's not a real problem unless pop-up ads start coming on your computer all the time. It got so bad on my computer that I had to do an HD wipe. Anyway, yes try AdAware. I run it at least once a day.
Bev Image

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Wed May 12, 2004 1:41 pm

Norton Utilities now has a program included called Web Tool which wipes cookies, cache and url's from your HD. That I run everytime I sign off the web. Ad-aware and Spybot I run a couple of times a week. And all that is in addition to a Norton Firewall I have. :banghead: