COVID-19

This is for General chit chat and such.
If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, it goes here. Knock yerself out.

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
COVID-19

Post by brian » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:35 am

How is everyone doing? I've been working from home since last Thursday, and probably will continue to do that at least through the month of April. I had two business trips in March that I was concerned about, because I was flying on eight different planes in two weeks! I carried Clorox wipes in a Ziploc bag and wiped down my seating area on each one. The 14 day waiting period from my last flight ran out yesterday, so that turned out okay. Florida just issued a stay-at-home order for the next 30 days. We aren't to go out except for essential activities (grocery, pharmacy, work, checking on loved ones). There are 144 confirmed cases in my county so far. An ambulance came and took someone away at my across the street neighbor's house yesterday, though I don't know why. Just watching a lot of Netflix and Prime, and washing my hands like a madman.

Here are some good tips from a doctor for bringing groceries into your home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKx-F4AKteE

His glitter analogy really brings the idea home for people.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Re: COVID-19

Post by lswot » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:07 am

Hi, my friend. good to hear you're doing ok. I'm well. Never wased my hans so much!!! Thanks for the hints about getting groceries. Stay well....safe...you are (all of you) are in my thoughts and prayers.
:beamup: lswot
eccl 2:13

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."
......Thomas Jefferson......

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:34 pm

Shields up.

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:28 am

Good to hear everyone is ok. My job is considered " essential " so life, as far as work is concerned hasn't changed. Life for me tho, well, let's say, my truck has never been so clean. (goes the same for my hands) Stay safe everyone, and lets hope this is over soon.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:39 am

"hope this is over soon" AMEN!!!

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:53 pm

While I was watching Jeopardy, the CO state governor came on to give a pep talk. He extended the state stay-at-home order until 26th, subject to change if needed.

For some reason, the phrase "cabin fever" comes to mind here.

He did say the rate of spreading seems to be tapering off.

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:57 am

This is my third...er fourth er, who know?s...week :scratchhead:

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:45 pm

Grocery shopping is weird nowadays - all these bandits walking around (yeah, I'm one of 'em, but I don't have to look at myself). What would happen if one one of them really was a bandit? "This is a stick up - put all your toilet paper in a bag".

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:55 pm

Just a note to ask everyone to remain ultra-conscious of your safety (and those in your lives!) as the states are releasing the lockdowns. Personally, working from home has been great, so I think when our office goes back to work, I may ask to continue working from home for 2-4 weeks, just to see what the second wave will look like.

I have some personal experiences to share with you. I can't believe people still think this is a hoax, my own brother included, simply because no one he personally knows has been infected.

I just learned that my neighbor across the street died a couple of weeks ago. She was in otherwise decent health for a 75 year old. We saw people around her house and thought that perhaps she went to quarantine with her daughter in Miami and had dog/house sitters visiting. I guess it was family, now that I've seen the obituary. With everyone shut in, you just get used to not seeing someone for long stretches of time. :(

One of my good friends was bedridden with COVID for 12 days. In that time, he slept 20 hours per day and lost 31 pounds. He says the pain was the worst he's ever had.

One of my coworker's best friends is only 37 and he's in ICU in the hospital with COVID-related congestive heart failure.

The worst I've heard through personal connections is from my friend in D.C. One of his coworkers lost his sister on Monday of this week. Yesterday, the coworker himself died. Today, their mother died. And their father is in the hospital. It's just heart-wrenching to even think about.

So think about these connections, even if you may have none of your own. Take care of yourselves and your families! It's so much better to be overly safe than sorry.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:17 pm

sorry for your losses....stay well

Ilana
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Ilana » Fri May 01, 2020 9:25 am

People are stupid, is all I can say. I will stay "put" for as long as it takes. As a traveler, I'm really getting cabin fever, but what of it? We have to really listen to the experts (i.e. actual doctors).

I'm going to be teaching my class online in a couple of weeks. Boy, what a change!! The "in-person" engagement I've always felt with my students will not be there. I hope I won't bore them to death!

Anyhow, everyone please be safe, healthy and all good things!!!!!!

You might as well watch Picard now!! :)
Ilana
So long and thanks for all the fish

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Mon May 04, 2020 6:37 am

We had an all-hands meeting and after hearing everyone's concerns, our division manager decided that we will be very conservative in our decision to go back to the office, no time soon. So that's a weight off. We share bathrooms and elevators with Social Security courtrooms, where people who have been denied disability come for appeals. So there is a steady stream of new people coming through our common spaces.

The 37 year-old passed over the weekend. :(

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Mon May 04, 2020 9:30 am

Stay safe, my friends. :ghug:

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Tue May 05, 2020 1:22 pm

:ghug:

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Mon May 03, 2021 3:07 pm

Second ouch today.