Hurricane Charley

This is for General chit chat and such.
If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, it goes here. Knock yerself out.

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Hurricane Charley

Post by brian » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:47 pm

Well, I survived the Big Blow this evening, and only lost power about six times during SG-1. :flame: But it never stayed off for more than five seconds. :clap:

Some branches down, but that seems to be the extent of the damage to my property.

I found a squirrel's nest down in my driveway, with two wet shivering babies. I'm not sure how old they are. They're about palm sized, and at least tonight their eyes stayed closed as I extracted them from the nest and moved them to a box with dry towels. I'm not sure if it was because they're so young, or if it was fatigue or shock related. They're young enough that at first glance, you might think they were gerbils (i.e., they're tails are hairy but not yet fluffy). So I've gotta get up early in the morning and set about finding a wild animal rescue organization. I've found one on the net, hopefully they'll be open in the morning.

One page I just read said that they can make a loud cry, and that a mother will come and carry them away in her mouth, even if they seem too big for that. It also said they don't mind the human smell. So if the tykes are crying in the morning (hoping they survive), I'll first set the box outside near the tree to see if they can attract their mother, before taking them to a rehabber.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:03 am

Glad the brunt of the storm missed ya.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:08 am

Good news this morning. The kids survived the night:

I was worried about the smaller one. It was drenched and barely moving last night. They were both dry and squirming this morning:

But they weren't making a sound that would attract a mother, so I thought I'd wait until the rescue folks open at 9am and call them. I opened the garage door to see the aftermath in the light of day, and what did I see but Mama Squirrel frantically digging through the remnants of the nest I left outside last night. So I moved their box out to the tree, and she was immediately curious (and bold, letting me stand much closer than a squirrel normally would):

She recognized them right away (what mama wouldn't?):

She was soon in the box, bundling up her kids and taking them up the tree one at a time. I was amazed she could carry them. Each of them was twice the size of her head:

After she got them up there (somewhere), she started tearing the old nest apart and taking the bits up the tree to rebuild:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

:clap:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:47 am

:clap: Way to go Brian!! :biggthumbup: :rock:

I do hope you realize that such a demonstration is going to in all likelyhood put a serious crimp in your well worked for image as a HARD-A$$!! :ghug:

AnneB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AnneB » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:05 pm

Way to go, Brian! :bow:

Anne
Check These Out: MYSThillarium Volume 1 and other Forumite trips!

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:19 pm

Way to go Biran. :)
Thanks for the pics too.
Sometimes.
Forum Host

da Woim
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by da Woim » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:12 pm

Well, I didn't save a family of squirrels or anything (:roll: :P), but me & mine did make it through Charley just fine. The Spacecoast was only mildly scathed by the storm. Plenty of wind and rain in my neighborhood, but I never once lost power. :)

I'll take Stargate over squirrels any day! ;)
/\/\/\o

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:14 am

Brian and Woim.......glad to hear that you and yours are all ok! :bdsmile:
What a storm.....geeze.....and they say living in California is 'shakey'. :shock:
Way to go, Brian......the squirrel saver. :clap:
8) Pictures!
:beamup: lswot
eccl 2:13

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."
......Thomas Jefferson......

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:03 pm

California is shaking again?? :scratchhead:
Hmmm, I haven't felt anything eccept tired from putting together my
Wifes kitchen cabinets, tearing out the old, painting, and putting up the new ones. :rock: all on my first weekend off in 3 months.
Sometimes.
Forum Host

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:14 pm

trucker2000 wrote:California is shaking again?? :scratchhead:
Hmmm, I haven't felt anything eccept tired from putting together my
Wifes kitchen cabinets, tearing out the old, painting, and putting up the new ones. :rock: all on my first weekend off in 3 months.
Here'tis another very, very old joke....

God made heaven and earth and man and all things and on the seventh day he rested. God then made woman and nobody's rested since. :rotfl:

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:20 pm

lswot wrote:Brian and Woim.......glad to hear that you and yours are all ok! :bdsmile:
What a storm.....geeze.....and they say living in California is 'shakey'. :shock:
Way to go, Brian......the squirrel saver. :clap:
8) Pictures!
Yeah, I'm glad everyone got through the storm OK. I've experienced hurricanes but up the East coast in NJ with a smattering of experiences in NC but never full force. I can just imagine what it must be like but I have no desire to experience it first hand. :shock:

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:14 pm

I'll stay with the earth quakes.
Sometimes.
Forum Host

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:53 am

trucker2000 wrote:I'll stay with the earth quakes.
At least, unlike the ENTERPRISE, you have seat belts. :rotfl:

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:01 am

trucker2000 wrote:I'll stay with the earth quakes.
Oh, yeah.......ditto's to that! :-D

And....no, it's not 'shaking', here.....just a general comment to living in California compared to living in Florida.
It never fails....I meet someone from anywhere east of the rockies and the question most asked is: "How can you live in California with all those earthquakes?"

Oh, and Trucker.....way to go :clap: (with all your DIY projects)
:beamup: lswot
eccl 2:13

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."
......Thomas Jefferson......

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:02 pm

How can you live in California with all those earthquakes?"
Umm, I dunno. I sleep thru them. :scratchhead:
:rotfl:
I've actually slept thru a 7.6 earthquake in San Bernadino. The freeways were closed becouse all the bridges fell, but I knew nothing till I tried to go home. :shock: Imagine my surprise.
Sometimes.
Forum Host