Here we go again...

This is for General chit chat and such.
If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, it goes here. Knock yerself out.

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Here we go again...

Post by brian » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:13 pm

Well, Woim and I are once again in the crosshairs, this time with Hurricane Frances. Three weeks to the day after Charley! Some folks around here still don't have power restored from the last one! :crazy:

After tomorrow, I may not be on for a day or few. I'll be back whenever possible. :smile:

:ghug:

I'll be on squirrel patrol this weekend. :)
Last edited by brian on Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:36 pm

Keep long range sensors on alert, and shields on standby...

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:00 pm

Good luck to the both of you. Hope the Hurricane misses it's mark by megamiles.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:05 am

Maybe you could just beam to another state? No. That wouldn't work. Scotty is sick and the squirrels need you there. :ghug:

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:49 am

Stay safe......:ghug:
:beamup: lswot
eccl 2:13

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."
......Thomas Jefferson......

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:42 am

Well, we survived the night with cable TV the only casualty. I consider myself very lucky there -- 4 million are without power in Florida right now. But this thing is moving so slowly, we've had driving winds (45-50 sustained, 60-65 gusts) all day and it's predicted that we have to deal with it for another 12 hours or so. I'm currently in the upper right quadrant of the storm (Sanford/Lake Mary, in Seminole County, just northeast of Orlando). That's the part of the storm they say is the worst for winds and tornadoes. Starting around noon, I began hearing noises from the roof, and have seen nearly a dozen shingles fly into the back yard so far. Just keeping my fingers crossed for no structural damage, and for the oak in the front yard to remain standing, or at least fall away from the house. One oak I can see down the street has toppled since noon, fortunately away from the home.

I spotted one of the young squirrels I rescued three weeks ago, now fluffed out like an adult yet half the size still, running about the tree a little while ago.

I'm afraid Woim is taking the brunt of this one, over on the Space Coast. He lucked out with Charley, but not with this one. :(

Here's an interesting picture from my front doorstep. A family of Sand Hill Cranes walking down the street during the hurricane. Whenever there was a big gust, they would hunker down like this and face the wind, like living weathervanes. I watched them for several minutes, and not once did any of the three lose their footing.

I'll update as I can. :ghug:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:54 am

Glad your safe......and I hope Woim is, too. My goodness....you didn't evacuate! Wonder if Woim had to leave. Slow moving or not....I'd like to get away from the hurricane/storm/whathave you! :shock:
Great picture......
Take care!!!!

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:22 pm

Wow, what a pic. :)
Glad you are ok too. Hope Woim is too.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:04 pm

It's good to hear that you and the squirrels and cranes are all OK. Now all we have a concern about is woims. :wink: Here's hoping he found a good sturdy rock to hide behind. :ghug:

AnneB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AnneB » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:47 am

Glad you made it, Brian. :clap:

Anne
Check These Out: MYSThillarium Volume 1 and other Forumite trips!

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:18 am

Donahoo wrote:Glad you made it, Brian. :clap:

Anne
Ditto!

Have you heard from Woim?

:shock: And now Ivan is coming! :shock:

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:53 pm

And now Ivan is coming!
OK everyone, here we go! INHALE..........EXHALE!!!!!

NO,NO,NO. We all have to be facing the direction from whence the storm cometh. Sorta-kinda East by South East by South. Definitely not West. :bdsmile:

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:12 am

Let's hope it's not Ivan the Terrible... :shock:

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:19 am

Henry J wrote:Let's hope it's not Ivan the Terrible... :shock:
That's for sure! :mope:

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:41 pm

Got an update from Woim:
Almost 12 straight hours of SUSTAINED 100mph+ winds, severe damage, debris EVERYWHERE! And still...I got VERY lucky on this one.

I've counted more than a dozen trees within 200 yards of my house that are all leaning on power lines, not to mention two power poles that are full-on broken...and yet somehow I have power!! I couldn't believe it! I mean, on a normal day, my street is nothing but massive trees & powerlines; I thought for certain I would be without power for at least a week after Frances left town, but as it turned out, I only lost power for about 18 hours. And my house sits on just enough of a hill to have staved off the flooding that occurred.

Not that what happened back at the homestead really affected ME all that much. I pussed out and hauled ass to my Dad's place a day before Frances hit! ;) His house was sturdy enough & far enough away from Ground Zero to keep us safe (and powered), but it still got hammered pretty hard by rain & 75 mph+ winds. I've spent the last couple days just helping him clean up.

I'm still without cable, which for me is almost as bad as not having power at all...almost! ;) Hopefully that'll be resolved shortly. But all things considered, like I said, I got VERY lucky.

Bring on Ivan!!

No, on second thought...DON'T!!! :)