RIP June Allyson

These are old posts that can be read, but not posted to anymore.
brian
Site Admin
Site Admin
RIP June Allyson

Post by brian » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:45 am

Actress June Allyson dies at 88

June Allyson, the stage, film and television actress best known for her girl-next-door charm and winsomely husky voice in such 1940s MGM classics as "Good News" and "Little Women," has died at age 88, her husband said on Monday.

Allyson, who had been in declining health since undergoing hip-replacement surgery a few years ago, died on Saturday at her home in Ojai, California, northwest of Los Angeles, from respiratory failure and acute bronchitis, said her spouse of 30 years, David Ashrow.

Born Ella Geisman in the Bronx, New York, she was brought up in near poverty and overcame a childhood accident that left her in braces for four years, eventually teaching herself to dance.

Auditioning for a Broadway show on a dare, the bubbly blond performer landed her first professional appearance in the chorus line of the Rodgers and Hart musical "Sing Out the News."

Allyson made her feature film debut in the 1943 big-screen version of the Broadway musical "Best Foot Forward," reprising the ingenue role she played two years earlier on stage in a production choreographed by Gene Kelly.

Under contract with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, she went on to play wholesome, perky roles in a string of light comedies, musicals and romances, including "Music for Millions," "Two Girls and a Sailor" (the first of five pairings opposite Van Johnson) "Little Women" and "Good News." In the latter two films, she starred opposite Peter Lawford.

She won a Golden Globe Award for her 1951 role in "Too Young to Kiss," where she played a talented pianist who poses as a child prodigy to gain an audition for a music impresario who is holding tryouts for a kids' concert tour.

As the 1950s wore on, Allyson grew into roles as the supportive wife in such films as "The Glenn Miller Story" and "Strategic Air Command."

Although ranked as one of the ten leading box office stars in the mid-1950s, her Hollywood career waned at the end of that decade and she moved into television, starring in her own drama anthology series, "The June Allyson Show," which ran from 1959 to 1961.

She returned to Broadway in 1970 to succeed Julie Harris as star of "40 Carats," her first stage role in two decades, and continued to make occasional TV and film appearances through the 1990s.

Allyson also headlined a national tour of the stage musical "No, No Nanette" in the 1970s.

She was married to actor Dick Powell, with whom she co-starred in the 1950 films "Right Cross" and "The Reformer and the Redhead," from 1945 until his death in 1963.

Later, Allyson twice married and twice divorced Powell's barber, Glenn Maxwell. In 1976 she wed her third husband, Ashrow, a retired dentist, with whom she appeared in the stage play that year, "My Daughter, Your Son."
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:15 pm

My father loved to hate her. "She's always crying!" And she could cry without crying with that warble in her voice which she used to good advantage as an actress.

"Strategic Air Command" with Jimmy Stewart was a favorite of mine for a very long time.

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:41 am

Always liked her.....crying or not. She was married to one of my favorites: Dick Powel.
:beamup: lswot
eccl 2:13

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."
......Thomas Jefferson......

trucker2000
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trucker2000 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:29 pm

Now I know who the radio was talking about.
(hard to see pictures thru the radio)
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :D
Sometimes.
Forum Host

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:19 am

trucker2000 wrote:Now I know who the radio was talking about.
(hard to see pictures thru the radio)
Same problem here also with newspapers that don't print a photo. Some names just don't ring a memory bell until I see the face.

Ilana
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Ilana » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:20 am

My dad was at a party with her in the '40's, and according to him one of the games they played was spin the bottle!
Ilana
So long and thanks for all the fish

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:10 pm

Ilana wrote:My dad was at a party with her in the '40's, and according to him one of the games they played was spin the bottle!
MY June Allyson would never do that!! :nano:

Ilana
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Ilana » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:20 am

...she was a dancer in the chorus then!
Ilana
So long and thanks for all the fish

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:00 am

Ilana wrote:...she was a dancer in the chorus then!
Ahh.......Must have been a different June...... :wink:

"A Government big enough to give you every thing you want, is big enough to take away every thing you have."

Xjmt
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Xjmt » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:09 pm

I'm still working on "she was a dancer in the chorus..." Isn't that a line from some song?? :scratchhead:

brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brian » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:13 pm

"Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl..."
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 am

:smile: :clap: Your in good voice, today, Brian. :smile:

Henry J
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by Henry J » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:53 pm

He is? I didn't hear anything... :D

Henry

BevH
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by BevH » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:30 pm

Henry J wrote:He is? I didn't hear anything... :D

Henry
Perhaps turning on your speakers would help? :rotfl:
Bev Image

lswot
Tv Watcher
Tv Watcher

Post by lswot » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:52 am

:D